Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Lemon & Pistachios

This is for my friend, Julie, who was looking for something different to bring to the holiday table! I have adapted this recipe that I clipped from a Bon Appetit quite some time ago, but I have made it several times and love it! The recipe calls for you to separate every leaf off of every sprout, but if you do that, you will still be plucking while everyone else is eating dessert ;o) I find the food processor to be my friend in this recipe! Also, it may seem like there is a ton when you shred, but this does shrink, so for a crowd I might double the recipe and cook in 2 skillets.

3 Tbsp olive oil (recipe calls for grapeseed, if you have it)
1 Tbsp minced shallot
1-1/2 pounds brussels sprouts, washed and yucky parts trimmed, if any, and shredded with a medium blade of a food processor.
3/4 cup shelled unsalted natural pistachios (I have substituted sliced almonds and liked just as well)
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (or more)

Heat oil in large nonstick skilled over medium-high heat and add nuts, stirring for 30 or 40 seconds. When nuts begin to sizzle in the oil, add the shallots and stir a minute. Add brussels sprouts and turn heat up a little, stirring to get nuts and shallots out of harms way on the bottom of the skillet. Cover to steam for a few minutes. I like to not stir too much so part of them are caramelizing on the bottom and part are still crisp-tender and bright green. Remove cover and stir in lemon juice. Season to taste with salt & pepper. Transfer to serving bowl. This is best prepared right before dinner is served. If everything is prepped, it can be ready in 5 minutes. I hope you like it!!!

1 comment: